Sustainable land management
Transition to the new land management framework will begin on 25 August 2017
A new approach to land management in NSW
The Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016 and Local Land Services Amendment Act 2016 take advantage of the best available science and data to ensure a balanced approach to rural land management and biodiversity conservation in NSW.
The key features of the new framework are
- new arrangements that allow land owners to improve productivity while responding to environmental risks
- new ways to assess and manage the biodiversity impacts of development
- a new State Environmental Planning Policy for impacts on native vegetation in urban areas
- significant investment in conserving high-value vegetation on private land
- a risk-based system for regulating human and business interactions with native plants and animals
- streamlined approvals and dedicated resources to help reduce the regulatory burden.
A fairer and more flexible system
The new Land Management Code of Practice is fairer and more flexible – and supports NSW farmers who produce our food and fibre:
- it is streamlined and transparent, allowing land owners to respond quickly and take advantage of new market opportunities when they arise
- most management activities can be undertaken without the need for formal approval so they can get on with the business of routine farming
- new systems and tools are available to help land owners determine the best possible arrangements to grow their businesses in a flexible and sustainable way.
Land owners across NSW can use the new framework to determine the best approach to managing and growing their assets. Greater choices for land owners will allow appropriate agricultural development to
- improve pastures and open up new grazing areas for increased livestock carrying capacity and production
- improve cropping efficiency and expand cultivation areas for increased yields
- develop fertile land for production, in some cases in exchange for establishment of set aside areas.
Delivering triple bottom line outcomes
The new land management framework delivers triple bottom line outcomes for land owners by:
Providing certainty and long term planning solutions that deliver balanced growth and value environmental assets
Creating more land use options through flexible codes and payments for private land conservation
Supporting land owners with advice, new tools and products to make the right choice for their farm system
Here to help with quality services for our customers
We have dedicated teams and boots on the ground right across NSW to help you make the most of the new land management framework.
We can assist with:
- advice on using the new codes of practice and other tools
- timely assistance with approvals if required
- support to access incentives for conserving native plants and animals on your property
- workshops, field days and farm visits to help you understand the new land management framework.
At Local Land Services, we believe that partnerships are essential to our success.
We will listen to your goals and work with you to tailor the right solutions to grow a sustainable business.
We have dedicated teams in place across NSW ready to help you make the most of the new land management framework.
Contact your Local Land Services office and we will arrange a time to talk or visit your property to discuss the options available to you so you can get on with the business of farming.
Valuing environmental assets
Private land owners hold of most of the state’s remnant vegetation. They will be supported to manage these important assets and deliver landscape-scale environmental outcomes. Land owners value the health of their land and want to look after it.
The new system provides a number of pathways to generate benefits by protecting native plants and animals.
Voluntary financial incentives will be available to support land owners to actively manage high-value environmental assets on private land by establishing conservation agreements or stewardship sites.
A new Biodiversity Offsets Scheme also allows land owners to generate financial returns for the management of environmental assets At Local Land Services we believe that partnerships are essential to our success. We are here to work together with you and tailor the right solutions to grow a sustainable business.
Find out more or register for an upcoming event
A program of information events and field days is planned to help land owners better understand the new land management framework and to find out how we can help you.
For more information reach us at:
Phone: 1300 778 080